Monday, September 21, 2009

Out, damned thought! Out!

In yoga you are supposed to clear your mind. Good yogis, they tell me, do not spend the entire class reviewing their to-do list, berating themselves for the errand they forgot to run yesterday, and adding items critical for tomorrow. No indeed, good yoga students, wherever they may be, rid themselves of such thoughts.

Clearing my mind has been a big challenge for me. Maybe my mind suspects that if it agrees to step out for a vacation, I won’t let it back in. Who knows? It could be right. Different yoga teachers have advised to briefly acknowledge the thought and just let it pass by. The problem is I have too many of these thoughts. It’s like the receiving line at a 500 person wedding. I’ve just finished acknowledging one and letting it move on when another rushes up to say hello.

Since I haven’t made much mind-clearing progress during my two months of yoga, I’ve decided to seek new approaches outside of the yoga studio. Thus, I’ll be taking a series of meditation classes starting in October. I’m really excited to try something new! Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment